The Five Tibetan Rites - Do They Help You Lose Weight?
The 5 Tibetan exercises are truly remarkable! I believe to the depth of my soul that the regular doing of these exercises contributed greatly to the reduction in my body weight by 8 kgs in 2006. On 1 April I weighted 83 kgs and commenced T5Ts about the same time. By 25 November (my birthday) I weighted 75 kgs!! I am a believer in reducing weight slowly so I was so trilled with this. I did at one time weigh 94kgs and this is the lightest I have been in 20 years. I couldn't even do half a repetition of Rites No 4 & 5, yet I continually persisted each day just to do as much as I could. So little by little I improved in technique and strength. I was absolutely delighted with myself as I could do 21 rotations of each of T5T pose after ONLY 14 weeks. T5T gave me and continues to give me a wonderful sense of amazement - that my body can DO them; a sense of achievement; confidence; increased happiness; an incredible feeling of well-being and the increased my fitness level dramatically!! I would like to say 'thank you' to my friends Chris and Laurie who introduced me to them! They have changed my life!! " Shirley-Anne Lawler (51 years)
Over the years of teaching the Rites, I have noticed the following trends when it comes to losing weight. One thing for sure, is that there is no "one size fits all" answer to this question.
- Prior to learning T5T (The 5 Tibetans) - people who have been doing very little exercise, seem to lose weight.
- There are other people who have consistently done moderate amounts of exercise, who lose weight when they start practicing the Rites. See John's Testimonial below.
"I've been doing T5T every day for the last 3 years. I've lost 7 kilos in weight and it stays off without any additional effort!! I've got so much more energy and I feel better all-round. I am less stressed, happy and able to plan my days better. The stiffness in my fingers is much better - almost non-existent. My friends are always saying how much better I look. "John Clemones - Managing Director - Special Tools & Storage Systems Pty Ltd
- Those that have lost weight tend to find it easier to maintain their weight loss
- The Rites are said to work by stimulating the major hormonal glands of the body. Around menopause many women tend to put on weight. My own experience and that of many other women I have spoken to, is that daily practice of the Rites, definately helped reduce weight. Others report reduction and improvement in bloating, fluid retention and hot flushes. I can certainly attest to the last one!
- Since I added core stability training to the Rites, all of us have firmer/flatter stomachs!
- The upper arms become less flabby and look toned!
- Doing T5T daily takes self-discipline. After a while, people find they become more self-disciplined in other areas of their lives. This is of great benefit to anyone undertaking a weight loss program.
- As people's energy levels rise, they are more motivated to take up other forms of exercise like walking or gym work etc. They also start doing tasks that they have been putting off for years - like doing the garden, spring-cleaning the house, clearing out garages etc! They become more active generally and this would contribute to weight loss.
- Reduction in craving for 'junk' food. It is a very common experience for people to start naturally changing their dietary habits. It seems to be that they feel 'cleaner' on the inside and have a natural desire to eat healthier foods.
In answer to this question, I prefer to say, "Some do, some don't. What they will do is help you control your weight, improve your energy so you feel motivated to be more active, improve your self discipline and your desire for healthier food. They will strengthen & tone your body, particularly your stomach, upper arms and back, which contributes to improved self-esteem."
If you wish to publish this article for your website or use the T5T name for each Rites with their associated affirmation - you may do so - provided you assign the correct copyright and accreditation exactly as shown below:
Copyright (c) 2006 Carolinda Witt - author T5T - The Five Tibetan Exercise Rites (Penguin) and The 10-Minute Rejuvenation Plan (Random House)