Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Five Trusty Tibetans to Help Stay Healthy - If You Own a Small Business, You'd Better Stay Healthy.

by Des Walsh on Thu 30 Nov 2006 11:51 PM EST

As a follow up to my post yesterday, If You Own a Small Business, You'd Better Stay Healthy, I thought tonight I should mention something that has been very helpful for me and is very manageable in terms of space and time for even the busiest home based professional (or for that matter even those not home based).

The Five Tibetans are not a group of jolly monks (there may be such a group, but I don't know about it), but a shorthand term for the Five Tibetan Rites, as expounded in the book The Fountain of Youth by Peter Kelder. I learnt them from an amazing Australian woman, Carolinda Witt (pictured left), who has taken the original system and adapted it, to suit us more sedentary Westerners, into her T5T system.

Here's a short summary from Carolinda's website:

T5T (The Five Tibetans) is an ancient Tibetan rejuvenation technique that has long been credited with the ability to maintain youthfulness and vitality. Comprising five yoga-like exercises and an energising breathing technique – it is combined with modern exercise methods such as core stability to provide a 10 minute a day, step-by-step program - that can be done safely by anyone, anywhere and at any time.

I have to say when I heard the word "yoga" I had images of being required to stand on my head and twist my body into positions I regarded as being quite impossible for me. I need not have worried. Carolinda has given a lot of thought to how to make the exercises (the "rites") quite manageable even for those of for whom running onto a football field or other field of athletic endeavour is personally, as it is for me, a distant memory. So I started slowly and carefully built up my repetitions over a period of time, never straining.

The exercises are also great when you are travelling. You need no special clothing or even a gym and you can do the exercises in your hotel room before you go off to meetings or a conference. They only take 10 minutes out of the day and they more than repay that, in my experience and the experience of others.

There's also Qi Gong or Qui Gong, which I enjoy, and actually I have been doing that and not the Tibetans for a while, but have been enjoying getting back into the Tibetans.

Carolinda also has a blog called, yes, The Five Tibetans, where she shares from her extensive knowledge about diet and other health matters.

And I've just noticed on the blog that there will be a US edition of Carolinda's book in 2007: The US version of the book is called The 10-Minute Rejuvenation Plan and will be published by Random House on April 3rd 2007

Des Walsh is a Business Coach and blogging evangelist. He has a 7 Step Business Blog downloadable e-book in a practical, plain English guide to blogging, written for non-technical business owners. Since discovering business-focused weblogs or ‘blogs’ (highly interactive, personal websites) early in 2003, Des has seen blogging, with its powerful, accessible and low cost tools, as an ideal tool for small and micro businesses to get known globally and make more rapid progress.

His
Thinking Home Business blog deals with blogging, social networking for business, and home based business issues.

He is also a co-author of
Happy About LinkedIn for Recruiting, a recently published roadmap for recruiters wanting to use more effectively the 4.8 million plus LinkedIn professional business network.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello

I had never heard of a blogging evangelist.

I have a background in Traditional Chinese Acupuncture and was interested in this site.

I have started writing articles for complimentary therapies through "fitnessprof.com" in the advice section, so would be interetsed in communications from any members here posting comments, questions or information.

I hope to share information with yourselves in the near future.

Cheers...Mark (the fitnessprof)

Anonymous said...

dont you need to stay healthy even if you dont run a small business???

Carolinda Witt said...

Absolutely! I think the point being made is that should the owner of a small business become ill - then who is going to do the work!

Carolinda Witt said...

Let us know when your fitnessprof site is up.

Anonymous said...

please make your book available in india at an indian price. kilham is available for less than 3 dollars.

Carolinda Witt said...

I'd love to, but I have no control over what the publisher will charge. I doubt it would be as cheap as that as Kilham's book is very slim compared to mine which contains 204 photos and 176 pages! Kilham's is 1/3 the actual size and has 84 pages and just 14 pictures. I have a different publisher for different countries - Australia, New Zealand (Penguin) and US & Canada (Random House. Perhaps a different publisher will take it up in India and produce a cheaper version - who knows right now as it won't be launched in the US till April 3rd 2007. I'll keep you in the loop. Are you subsribed on my newsletter mailist on the www.T5T.com website? This is the best way to get updates.

Anonymous said...

let the book come out. lets see if a chepaer edition can be brought out for india. yes, i am subscribed.

Carolinda Witt said...

Good, at least you will be kept in touch then! All the best.

Unknown said...

Hello Carolinda,

Have you thought about putting your book, online as an ebook? I know a great contact...Robyn at seachangepublications.com.au, and she may be able to help. Otherwise the guys I work with at www.fitnessprof.com could also be a good contact.

Cheers...Mark (chiropractor/Osteopath/acupuncturist/teacher.)

Carolinda Witt said...

Hi Mark,
It would be a very long e-book as it contains 176 pages with 202 photos!! Penguin publish it in Australia/New Zealand and Three Rivers Press (division of Random House) publish it in US/Canada.

I'd need to write an e-version of the book, and would have to check the terms of my contracts with the publishers. There are other options though, and I have noted both your site and your contact at seachangepublications. Thanks for that.

On April 3rd 2007 I am also launching my internet/distance based Instructor Training program. I have interest from all over the world and clearly cannot spread the T5T word without the help of many wonderful instructors. The book reports, assessments, examinations etc, will be done by email or snail mail. The practical test will be done by home video or in the presence of a qualified T5T Assessor.

I notice you are a chiropractor, and osteopath, acupunturist and teacher. T5T was developed with input from a range of health practitioners including chiropractic and osteopathy. Check out the website if you want to see their names & testimonials.
http://www.t5t.com/testimonials.cfm

Why don't you consider becoming a T5T Instructor? I'm in the US in April - where are you located?

All the best - Carolinda